Kenzie needed a quick escape from real-life pressures, and found "The Sims 4." She now enjoys playing, writing, and YouTubing the game.
The Perfect Sims Wedding
"The Sims 4" Social Events: Weddings
Sims can get married anytime, anywhere, in a variety of different ways. If you're just looking for romance, you don't need to focus on anything but the happy couple.
If you're up for the challenge, however, you might want to plan a wedding through the social events menu on your Sim's phone and select the "goaled event." Goaled events give you several different interactions that you must complete within a specified time limit, but if you do achieve them, you will win rewards.
Weddings are generally considered the most difficult goaled event, but here are some strategies and tips that will help you and your Sims come out on top.
Location, Location, Location!
Pre-Wedding Preparations: The Venue
- Weddings can be held on lots with the following labels: museum, park, bar, nightclub, lounge, cafe, pool, generic or residential. They can also be held at the Chalet gardens, Island bluff or Ancient ruins. Your access to these types of lots will depend on what add-on software you have.
- If your lot is not one of the types listed, it will not appear on the wedding options menu when you plan your event. You will have to change your location or change the lot type in build mode. So you don't waste time preparing a lot that doesn't qualify, it pays to check ahead.
- Keep in mind that random passers-by will crash weddings on any public lot (bars, nightclubs, etc.).
- If you have the Seasons expansion pack, choose an indoor location for this challenge so that inclement weather does not ruin your event.
- Items you will need at the venue to achieve a gold medal include a wedding arch, a bar, food, a cake, and a surface upon which to serve food/cake.
- Additional items that will be helpful include: bathrooms, an instrument (if hiring an entertainer) and a kitchen with fridge, counter and stove (if hiring a caterer).
This Is What I Got From My Wedding Caterer
Pre-Wedding Preparations: Food and Wedding Cake
When you initiate the wedding social event, one option it gives you is to hire a caterer. You can do this, but it's a good way to risk failure. Caterers will often:
- Fail to show up
- Fail to prepare food
- Fail to make a cake
- May cause a fire if inexperienced and using a cheap stove
Hiring a caterer is only an option, not a requirement. I recommend skipping the caterer. Your Sim can cook his own food and cake for the wedding and bring it with him.
Alternatively, if you have the Luxury Party Stuff pack, you can use the Fancy Feast Banquet Table or the Banquetia Plateau to serve food. Pay the fee and a sumptuous feast will magically appear, all ready to be enjoyed by your guests.
If Your Sims Like to Entertain
Things That Will Not Effect Your Event
While there are some things that will definitely impact your wedding's chance of success, other things won't have any real effect. These things give you a lot of room for personal expression and creativity:
- Food type/how much food is prepared/how the food is prepared (just have some kind of food)
- Type of/size of cake
Just Because It's a Challenge Doesn't Mean You Can't Make It Special
Pre-Wedding Preparations: Get Your Sims Ready to Get Hitched
On the day you decide to have the wedding, you should do the following:
- Make sure your couple is engaged or they will not be able to plan a wedding.
- Fill their needs by giving them extra care, using potions or cheats if you wish. Just get their need bars in the green.
- Have the couple take a day off from work. Sims will leave a wedding to go to work.
- Place the food and cake, complete with wedding topper, into one Sim's inventory.
- Go to the venue and do any last-minute preparations: put the food and cake out, set tables, etc.
- For complete control over your Sims, turn off autonomy. You can do this on the game options menu. You can turn it back on after the wedding if you wish.
It All Starts with a Proposal
Tips: Things to Beware
If your goal is to get the gold medal, you might want to steer clear of some of these things:
- Toddlers can be too needy and are an unnecessary distraction. Avoid inviting any.
- Elderly people might run out of time and die at your wedding. Avoid inviting any.
- Any of the betrothed ex-lovers shouldn't be invited. They sometimes stir up trouble. Even if a relationship has been over for years, the ex might come up and flirt with or kiss your Sim, which could cause the couple to fight right there at the wedding.
- Things that cause fires, such as fireplaces, fire pits, incense, cheap stoves or grills should be avoided. Just leave them off the lot.
Select the Event
Start the Event
- Have one Sim click the "Plan a Social Event" option on his phone.
- Click "Wedding." The base cost for this event is 1,000 simoleons.
- Make sure there the box next to "goaled event" is checked.
- Click "Guests" to invite friends. The minimum is two guests. You can invite a maximum of 16 guests, but the smaller the wedding, the easier it is to manage.
- Hiring a caterer is optional (but don't say I didn't warn you about them). If you do want one, friends with level 5 or higher cooking skills will appear as an option, and you can choose one of them. If you prefer, you can hire a random caterer for 250 simoleons.
- Hiring a mixologist is also optional, but having drinks is often an interaction goal. If any of your friends have a level 5 or higher mixology skill showing up on the menu, you can select that Sim to tend bar. If not, you can hire a random mixologist for 250 simoleons.
NOTE: if your wedding is being held at any venue that usually has a mixologist (bar, lounge, etc.) the staff mixologist will already be on duty, and you don't need to hire anyone else.
- Hiring entertainment is also optional; it will not give you any advantages in the challenge. A friend with a high enough level in an instrument may appear, or you can hire a random Sim for 250 simoleons.
- Once you make your selections, proceed to the next menu. Pick the venue that you screened and prepared.
- After selecting the location, click the arrow to move on, and the event will immediately begin.
Just Follow the List
As soon as the wedding starts, a list will appear in the upper left corner showing you the interactions you have to complete, and how many times your couple must do each of them. For each interaction you complete, you get points.
Main Goal: Get married. This is accomplished by having the couple click on the arch to start the ceremony.
Secondary Goal: Cut the cake. Just click on the cake anytime after the ceremony for this option.
If you manage to do just these two things, your wedding will be considered a pretty successful event by the game. Additional interactions that may appear on the list include:
- Having drinks
- Talking to guests
- Having guests watch the ceremony
- Eating food
- Having the newlyweds perform romantic interactions
- Thanking the guests for coming
It's Not That Hard
- Keep an eye on the timer in the upper-left corner.
- As soon as the event starts, get some easy interactions out of the way. Grab drinks, thank guests for coming or strike up a conversation with guests right away.
- Click on your active Sim to use the "Action" button on the radial menu, and select "Form Group". Doing this helps give you more control over your guests because you'll get the option to do things as a group.
- About 1/4 way into the event, click a spot on the floor by the arch (but not too close to it) and click "Go Here Together." The guests will follow your bride/groom to the vicinity of the arch to watch the ceremony. They should automatically gather when the ceremony starts, but sometimes they'll be distracted. Taking this step to get them to go near the arch with you will decrease the distractions.
- With one of your betrothed Sims active, click on the arch and select the "Get Married" option. Enjoy the ceremony.
- Immediately after the ceremony, have one of your Sims go to the food table and click on it. Click "Call to Meal" to get your guests eating. This should bring all the Sims to the food.
- Bring both of your newlyweds near the cake. Click the cake and click the option to take the first slice.
- If there are any other interactions left, queue them up for both newlyweds (pause the game for a moment to do this if you feel time is running short).
The wedding will probably cost more than any prizes, but that's not the point. The point is, of course, winning! Not only do you get bragging rights, but you will also win a medal and the prizes that go with it.
Bronze Medal Reward: a book entitled Charisma Vol. 1: Diplomacy for Dummies. This book when read will help build charisma skills.
Silver Medal Rewards: the following decorative items:
- Wedding Pillar with Floral Basket
- In Full Bloom Centerpiece
Gold Medal Rewards: The following items:
- Wedding Pillar with Floral Basket
- In Full Bloom Centerpiece
- Royal Crabtree Tea Set
- The Food Annihilator
- Tea Magic Personal Brewer
If you follow my tips, you should have no trouble achieving a gold medal. Best of luck to you and your newlyweds!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Kenzie Cartwright