Jaeda loves playing "The Sims." She loves building, and creating really fun storylines! She has been playing "The Sims" since she was eight!
Tips for Playing The Sims 4 in Build Mode
Building in The Sims is one of the best ways to play the game, but it can get repetitive. Here are ten build mode challenges to spice up your playing time! I love to do these with other people I know who play The Sims, especially my sister!
10 Build Mode Challenges for The Sims 4
- Shell Challenge
- Solid Color Challenge
- Wheel Spin Challenge
- Starter Home Challenge
- No Mistakes Challenge
- Every Room Is a Different Pack Challenge
- 10-Minute Challenge
- Seasonal Townhouse Challenge
- Black and White Challenge
- Every Room Is a Different Budget Challenge
1. Shell Challenge
This one is pretty simple. It is one of those challenges that could take you a long time, or you could finish it quickly. A lot of fellow Simmers will post their shells in the gallery. If you go into the gallery and type "shell" or "shell challenge," you can find a wide variety of empty homes with a lot of potential.
Sometimes, when I do this challenge with someone else, we will make our own shell and upload it to the gallery for each other! You can make a shell with or without interior walls or roofs. You can also put limitations on each other if you would like.
Possible Limitations to Use
- Time limit
- Pack limit
- Lot limit
- Any other limitation you think would be fun!
This challenge is one of my favorites because every builder's house is the exact same size and shape, but they look entirely different.
2. Solid Color Challenge
This challenge can be one of two things—super easy or really difficult.
To start this challenge, open up a number generator and set it at ten. Whatever number comes up on the number generator is now the color theme for your solid color challenge!
Game Play Tip
In the right-hand, lower corner of build-mode, you can filter colors that will show up. I would suggest using this feature for this challenge—it makes it so much easier.
Rules to Keep in Mind
- Every single item has to be the assigned color. From floors to walls to furniture—all of it must be a single color.
- If an object is not available in the assigned color, you may not place it. For example, toilets come in limited swatches. If your color is green, but you can't find a green toilet, you can't have one. (Note: There are green toilets.)
- The house must be as playable as you can make it.
- You may use anything the game filters as the assigned color. For example, if something has a tiny amount of green, but the game says it's green, you may use it!
Read More From Levelskip
3. Wheel Spin Challenge
This challenge comes from the YouTuber, lilsimsie. Be sure to check out her rules for this challenge. This is one of those challenges you can do over and over again because every time you do it, it will be different! I usually just use a random number generator and set the amount to what Kayla has in her instructions.
For the build in the photo above I got:
- Lot Size: Small (30x20 or 30x30)
- World: Willow Creek
- Budget: 100k
- House Size: 5 Sims
- Build Style: Craftsman
- Color Scheme: Black and White
- Pack Limitations: I decided not to do any pack limitations because I had a specific family in mind.
- Funky Room to Include: Home Gym
I was actually very pleased with the things I got from the number generator! It was hard to build a Craftsman style without seasons, but I think I did ok!
4. Starter Home Challenge
To qualify as a starter home, the build should probably cost $20,000 or less and should be able to be purchased by a family just made in Create-A-Sim. This challenge can be difficult, but for the right builder, it can be done easily enough!
If you want to know in detail how to build a starter home, make sure to check out my other article, How to Build a Starter Home in "The Sims 4", where I teach you how to build the home in the photo above!
5. No Mistakes Build Challenge
This challenge can be extremely frustrating to those who are perfectionists. The challenge is pretty self-explanatory. You actually can make mistakes, but you can't fix them. Once you place an item anywhere on your lot, it is stuck there. You may not move it. Toilet in the wrong place? Too bad! Do you have bb.moveobjects on, and you accidentally put two chairs on top of each other? Sorry, you can't fix it!
To make this challenge even harder (but why?), you can set a time limit and really put on the pressure! For an additional challenge, make sure you have bb.moveobjects on. This allows you to place freely (not on the grid). Honestly, this challenge is fun, but it is very stressful. Good luck!
6. Every Room Is a Different Pack
There are different ways to start this challenge but the easiest is to build a shell of a house with interior walls as well. Make your house as big or as small as desired. Start with the exterior, and hope for a pack with doors and windows! Then work your way through the interior, generating a new pack for every room.
YouTuber, James Turner's, The Sims 4 Random Pack Generator is great to use for this challenge. It makes challenges like this a lot more enjoyable.
Just like in the solid color challenge, you can filter your build mode items to only show specific packs. This makes the challenge easier and keeps you from accidentally using other packs in the wrong room.
To spice up this challenge (even more), try using only expansion packs, or only game packs, or—the hardest—only stuff packs! Pictured above is my "Outdoor Retreat" bedroom! I would otherwise never have used this pack inside!
7. 10-Minute Challenge
This challenge is pretty self-explanatory. You set a timer for ten minutes, and try to build the best house you can build. This is a fun one to do with friends who also play The Sims. It can be super challenging. Sometimes it will take me hours to finish a build. Ten minutes go by quickly!
This challenge could also be turned into a renovation. You get ten minutes to renovate an EA build. When I did this challenge, I did not even get to the inside of my build! I was trying to make the outside look super cute, and I didn't even finish that. Ten minutes is not a lot of time. Good luck!
8. Seasonal Townhouse Challenge
For this challenge, you will need the Seasons expansion pack.
In this challenge, you will build four townhouses on one lot. They will be connected, but you can only enter each home from the outside (not through the insides of the homes). Each home will be fully functional and individually themed for a specific season, both inside and outside. The homes should go in this order: spring, summer, fall, and winter.
You can build your own townhouses, but there is a shell on the gallery, #SeasonalTHshell, by Misstory Plays.
Rules to Keep in Mind
- Walls cannot be moved in any way.
- There are no budget restrictions.
- The yards are not separated in the original shell. You can separate them if you want, but all landscaping should represent the season of the house.
- Be creative!
9. Black and White Challenge
This challenge is a lot of fun! For this one, you need to change your computer settings to black and white. Then when you're building in The Sims, everything will be some shade of grey, and you can't tell the color of the objects at all!
This is one of those challenges that you can combine with a shell challenge if you want. It might be more fun to do it that way if you're doing it with other people.
After your build is finished, go back to your settings and change it back to normal. Then go back to your build and see all of the different colors you chose!
10. Every Room Is a Different Budget Challenge
This one is similar to the "Every Room Is a Different Color/Pack" challenges. For this one, use a number generator. Set the minimum and maximum to whatever you want. For mine, I did a minimum of 400 and a maximum of 15k. Then generate your number and start building!
- To set your budget make sure you have testingcheats on and then just type money 1000 (or whatever your number is). For the kid's bedroom pictured above, I got 1067, so I didn't have a lot to work with.
- Remember, every aspect of the room has to be purchased within each room's budget—the doors, windows, walls, wallpaper, lighting, flooring, etc.