Kenzie needed a quick escape from real-life pressures, and found "The Sims 4." She now enjoys playing, writing, and YouTubing the game.
University Is Back for Sims
Sims are finally able to go back to school with The Sims 4: Discover University. Long-time fans of the simulation game have been waiting for this option ever since the fourth installment of the franchise came out back in 2014. There were university expansion packs available in The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, and players sorely missed the whole college experience.
Discover University was released in The Sims 4 in October of 2019, and so far, it has been a big hit. I never played previous versions of The Sims, so I didn't know what to expect, but I'm really enjoying it!
Live the Simulated College Life
New College Town
The design for Britechester is reportedly based on England. If you have The Sims 4: Seasons expansion pack installed, the weather will be similar to that of the UK: snowy winters, pleasantly warm summers and lots of rain in-between.
There are two university campuses, each with its own student housing and common area. There is also a town center area with a pub, library and residential lots.
Welcome to Britechester
There are two universities from which players can choose, and each has a very different vibe.
The University of Britechester:
- is a thousand years old and very traditional
- has a very cozy, old-world, ivy-league atmosphere
- has a dragon for a mascot
- school colors are green and yellow
- offers distinguished degrees in the arts
- boasts a secret society, which your Sim can join if he can find it
- is very modern and high-tech
- has more of a contemporary American college vibe
- has a lobster for a mascot
- school colors are dark red and gold
- offers distinguished degrees in the sciences
- boasts robots and robotic stations
Check Out My "Discover University" Mini-Series I Used to Test This New Game Pack
Despite having their own style, both universities offer very similar student life:
- both offer and accept a variety of scholarships (your Sims can apply for some before even applying to college)
- offers all the same regular degree programs
- offer student housing
- allow your Sims to live on- or off-campus
- allows any young adult, adult or elder to attend university
- have recreational clubs and activities for students to enjoy
- sell school merchandise and degree-specific textbooks
- provide free meals for students residing on campus
- lets SIms take up to four classes per term, with terms lasting five days
- "rabbit hole" classes (meaning your Sim will disappear to go to class alone)
- studying and doing homework is your responsibility (your Sim can fail classes and lose scholarships if you don't make sure they do the work; Sims will not complete work if left unplayed)
Britechester or Foxbury
Features of The Sims 4: Discover University
Here are some things you can look forward to in this game expansion:
- bicycles—not just for students and not just on campus, but all Sims in all cities
- Sims can get roommates to help share expenses, but you don't have to worry about controlling them
- juice keg parties and games like juice pong
- new robotics and debate skills
- careers such as Education, Law, and Engineering
- shower woohoo (any type of stall shower)
- juggling with a soccer ball or play ping-pong to pass time
- college pranks
- all Sims (not just students) can sit in on classes to increase skills
- new college-style outfits and hairstyles, complete with new tattoos and facial piercings
Sims Love Bikes So Much They Will Ride Them Everywhere
Redecorate Your Dorms (Cheat)
One big complaint a lot of people had off the bat is that you can't decorate dorm rooms very much. You're allowed to add personal touches, such as plants, rugs, or posters, but only if you drag them out of your Sim's personal inventory.
There is a way around this problem if you don't mind using cheats. You can completely re-decorate your dorm by taking the following steps:
- For PC or Mac users, simultaneously press Control + Shift + C. For Xbox or Playstation users, simultaneously press LT + RT + LB + RB.
- Select the command box that opens at the top of the screen. Type and enter "testingcheats true."
- Type and enter "bb.enablefreebuild"
- Also type and enter "bb.moveobjects"
You should now be able to go into build mode and completely redecorate your dorms.
Try It Yourself
Is It Worth It?
For me, Discover University is one of the most exciting expansion packs to come out thus far in The Sims 4. If I had to rank it in order with all other Sims expansion packs, it would be in my top three. It doesn't just add a lot of new stuff to the game; it's a game-changer.
I highly recommend this expansion pack to anyone, especially those who enjoy playing teens and young adults, or those who enjoy watching a Sim go through an entire life cycle, from childhood to adulthood. This game pack will spark your imagination and give you the opportunity for lots of new experiences and storylines for your characters.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Kenzie Cartwright