NBA 2K14 Tips for Creating your My Player

Updated on November 17, 2016

Intro

In this guide I will talk to you guys about ways to create the best My Player possible. This will include play styles, set ups, and how to play in order to get drafted and become the best player possible.

Please feel free to comment below and let me know your style for setting up your player, or if you have questions you can also ask there. Also I will be posting videos, and more guides over time so if you want to know when those get posted feel free to follow me on Twitter @Johnrr631992.

What is My Player

My Player refers to the game mode within NBA 2K14 which you create a player like most sports games. You can then go through a campaign mode setting trying to get your player drafted by a NBA team. Following getting drafted you will then make coins each game, and use those coins to buy more attributes for your player.

Another cool feature with My Player is being able to use him online, and doing challenges with this player. This allows you to compete against friends, and attempt to create a player whose attributes equal 99. Depending on the type of setup you use and height of the player, and weight some attributes will get maxed out at a certain level, but overall you goal is to max out every one of the numbers in order to have the best player possible.

Creating the Looks of your My Player

So when you are creating the looks of your my player, feel free to do as you want. None of this will matter when it comes to playing, or affect the way your player plays. I tend to have fun with this, and make the player look as crazy as possible. Or you can make the player look like yourself. Either way just try to have some fun with this , and the next part is what really matters.

Creating your Player's Attributes

This is the most important part of my entire guide because how you set up your players attributes is going to say how your player performs, and what kind of mess you may be stuck in when trying to start out on your career. If you do this section wrong, you may go second round, or not get drafted at all which will make the game less fun, and create a lot more work for you playing in a lower league. So what I suggest below, and the play style I talk about in the next section is going to be very important to expedite your progress into the NBA.

Now it would be impossible to tell you how every dimension of height will affect your player, but I will try to do it this way. First decide what type of player you want. If you want a dunker, then make him tall, and average build which will allow him to get underneath and dunk easily. IF you want a shot taker, then I would suggest going with a guard position and making him average height, and a little on the lower side of weight. If you want to have an all around good player, who doesn't have any particular great aspects in the beginning, but in the end can be great at many things I would suggest going with a point guard as I normally do.

When you are going to do a point guard make him around the 6' 3" range, and no more than 200 pounds. This will guarantee him speed, and quickness, and will give you an edge on that aspect. From there the stats are going to be set in a certain way. Also I would suggest making your players other attributes similar to your play style. Specializing in mid range shots, and then focus each attribute around the player that you choose.

When you are choosing the signatures, have fun with this as well. I wouldn't go to crazy because you will need to learn the exact release times in game which may be tricky, but this is something that you should have fun with, and will stick with your character until you change this, or during your players career.

How to Play to Guarantee Drafting

Another reason I suggested a point guard is because that is one of the easiest positions to guarantee yourself getting drafted into the NBA. When you create other types of players you are relying on the point guard to get you the ball in order to score. If you are the point guard, then you have the best odds of showing off, creating plays, and getting drafted into the NBA.

Either way regardless of the position you choose let me talk about how to get drafted. You are going to want to show off as best as you can. This does not mean to be a ball hog, but to make sure that you get your letter grade up, and to have the best stats possible. IF you have an open shot take it, if someone is open then give them the ball. As a point guard if I cannot get an open shot, I will typically hold the ball until the shot clock gets low then pass in order to force a teammate to shoot the ball. My main goal each game is to get at least a double-double if not a triple-double.

As I said above you are looking for a good grade when playing, and a key to this is based on your player. You essentially want a good grade, and you want to hold good stats.
I would say at minimum you should focus on getting a letter grade of a B and have at least 10 points in your rookie showcase. This will give you the best opportunity to succeed and get drafted into the NBA.

Which Stats to Upgrade over time

This is pretty simple. You should focus on upgrading the stats that are essential to your play style first. Then after you have those stats high enough, and are making a decent amount of coin each game, THEN you can focus on the other stats. If you are a point guard, then wait to focus on dunking until after your shooting, passing, and ball handling stats are high enough. If you are a center, than focus on the opposite. Overall make choices that make sense, because wasting points to bring your overall score up, can hurt you when you are in the NBA games, or playing online. Having high statistics in the important areas will make your life significantly easier over time.

Summary

Overall have fun with this game. It is a lot of fun to play, and over time you will get the hang of the game. Just don't stress to much on trying to get a triple double early on or you might get discouraged. As your player gets better you will see a significantly higher chance at being successful in the long run. If you enjoyed this guide don't forget to follow on twitter @Johnrr631992 and to comment below to let me know how you set up your player, and tips you may have for other readers.

Questions & Answers

Comments

0 of 8192 characters used

xDJeffxD

2 years ago

My athletic pg 6'7 can dunk . Maybe you need to purchase or equip some of the dunk style on your player

help me

4 years ago

Wat is da best way to create a myplayer

Cam_H21

4 years ago

tp, what you need to do is select a dunk package, if you start out being unable to dunk then you will only have a layup package selected, go into your my player and edit this. Find the page where you choose his release, at the bottom are the dunk packages, this is how you get your player to be able to dunk after you get his dunk up, but he was unable to dunk at the beginning.

Cam_H21

4 years ago

Hey in 2k12 and 2k13 I just scored like 40 some points in the rookie showcase, got like 5 or 6 steals, was an all around point guard, 1 or 2 assists and 2 or 4 rebounds, I still got drafted in top 15, 2k13 I actually went top 10

Mike

4 years ago

What are the attributes that you upgrade to easily higher up the overall rating

Minor 69er

Make your guy a pg

Edit my player tendencies

4 years ago

How do I edit map later tendencies in my player mode?

Help!!

4 years ago

How do you make a fully new my character

yo

ball hog^^^

Nexus 247

4 years ago

I don't know how but I always create amazing my players off bat. The first guy I created was a 7'2 275 lb defensive center. He averaged 29 pts , almost 10 reb, and 4 blocks i his rookie season with only average attributes. Now in his second year he is dominating the league with 55 pts, 16 reb, ast. 1 stl, and 6 blks with mostly maxed states. I have a rookie 6'6 athletic pg who averages 54 pts, 6 reb, 5 ast , 4 stls, and 3 blks with the default attributtes. Finally I have a 6'9 245 lbs all around sf who averages 39 pts almost 10 reb, 7 ast, 1 stl, and 2 blks, with average stats.

tp

4 years ago

Anyone wanting to dunk I think you need to make an athletic type player I made a 3pt specialist and maxed his dunk and he would never dunk so I tried athletic and even with a 6' pg with 50 dunk he still dunks any time I want. Hope this helps

Lauren

4 years ago

What is the best way to get your player a point gard to dunk?

Jeff Stroble

4 years ago

My PC always deletes my Jeff Stroble player.I'm 5'7" in real life and on the game and need help!

briddell13

4 years ago

Y'all need to by the skill either posterizer or highlight film. I have p osterizer and my 6' 9" sf dunks on people all the time.

Can I change my weight after I've started my career

berrus

4 years ago

i got a pg on the miami heat and i have 90 points in 3 pointers but he still misses the shot when exellent HELP. typed comment on wii u

donny

4 years ago

I just picked up 2k14 and when creating my player(career) it directs you to push R1 and L1 to change attributes like height and weight and it wont go to that screen. My L and R buttons work cuz I just checked them during game and on another game. Am I doing something wrong? plz help

rob

4 years ago

Also equipping posterizer really help, your dunk tendency is probably really low so you will have to do a fast break jam or post spin dunks till it raises on its own mine started out at 10 nows its up to 95 I also added posterizer it helped a lot

rob

4 years ago

Got to equip dunk packages cedric

ACDB

4 years ago

To DUNK, just Sprint going to the ring and press the shoot key with the sprint holding still

Grim

4 years ago

My player is 6'9. Should be able to dunk at 90 pts. Vertical at 90. All my attributes above 77. Equipped dunk packages. STILL WONT DUNK.

ANYONE able to solve this yet?

Jeff Stroble

4 years ago

Is there anyway I can save created players on NBA2K14?

High top

Jesse Rosselli

4 years ago

My guy is a 3 point specialist hes keeps missing excellent shots what do i do. please Help

jesse

4 years ago

cedric get your vertical up

cedric

4 years ago

I am having issues with sinking as well. I have a 6'7 point guard and his dunking is maxed out and I have 3 different dunk packages and he still can't dunk.

james

4 years ago

I got my center whos 6 10 and wont dunk he layes it up every time and he jumps higher than the rim his vertical is maxed out at 60 and both standing and running dunks are 75 i used the coins to raise them 10 for a game and he still wont dunk that woukd make it about 85. Not even earley in games wide open or anything i don't want to keeo wasting sp on dunks if he wont dunk any pointers???

Tydgzf

4 years ago

Can you change your weight halfway through your carrer

damiyon

Got my dunk to 92 but my player still wont dunk the ball. What else do I need

Chris

4 years ago

how do i stop get drafted in tha first round

Blank

4 years ago

@Marshall you must change your dunk package, go to edit player and were you created your players shot scroll down to dunk packages.

Tom

4 years ago

@Marshall make sure your vertical attribute is pretty high up there

Marshall

4 years ago

I have a 6'3" point guard with max dunk (i have already maxed out most of my other important stats for a point guard) but I cannot for the life of me get him to dunk. All he does is layups and its started to irritate me. Any ideas?

• Johnrr631992 profile imageAUTHOR

John Reid-Roberts

4 years ago from Boston, Massachusetts

If your dunk will only go to 85 that may because of the position, size, height, and weight may limit his ability to go past 85.

lilxhooper22

4 years ago

how do i get my dunk up to 90 and get the posterizer upgrade my dunk will on go to 85

TobyTyTy101

How do you put your My Player in Season Mode

Luke123

4 years ago

What does triple double mean

chris82

4 years ago

can you put your created player into the season mode??

benji

i &stand dunkingMaxed

• Johnrr631992 profile imageAUTHOR

John Reid-Roberts

4 years ago from Boston, Massachusetts

Thanks Jeff and glad it helped.. What team did you get drafted for, and good luck throughout the season ;)

jeff

4 years ago

thanks man i finished with 29 pts put on 3pt specialist and took open shots like you said… my PG is very fast and i can just breeze already to the 3pt line and bomb it in… seems like ive found my dudes stroke rather quickly. not sure if everyone knows its very helpful if you go to presentation...shot feedback….on. it really helps to learn your dudes shot.

• Johnrr631992 profile imageAUTHOR

John Reid-Roberts

4 years ago from Boston, Massachusetts

@Puddi.. What part of his face are you trying to edit?

@JK You welcome, any questions just ask..

Jk

Great help thanks

Puddi

4 years ago

I just can edit his face ? Is that a Bug ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, levelskip.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://levelskip.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)