Action-Adventure GamesClassic GamesConsoleseSportsFighting GamesFirst Person ShootersHorror GamesMMORPGsMobile GamesPuzzle GamesRPGsSimulation GamesSports GamesStrategy Games

The 6 Best Kinect Fitness Games

Updated on October 31, 2016

Play Your Way To Health

This list of the best Kinect fitness games will help you choose the right game to help you get in shape and stay fit!

If you haven't had a chance to try out the Kinect yet, you'll be surprised how suited it is to helping you exercise. And if you own a Kinect, you'll want to know the best games to maximize your workout productivity. After all, there's no point in using the Kinect to get fit unless you find a fitness game that's suited to your own abilities, interests, and needs!

Update: Zumba has shimmied its way past EA Sports!

Honorable Mentions

Jillian Michaels Fitness Adventure: This recent entry into the Kinect workout genre has you working on your core while exploring a variety of fun on-screen environments. Guess Jillian decided not to stick with the Biggest Loser franchise this time around...

Zumba Fitness Core: Love Zumba? Want to focus on strengthening your core? Check out the latest Zumba Kinect game, which features new ways to tap into the dance-inspired craze.

Dance Central 3: Trey says in the comments below, "Dance Central 2 works better for me than anything. Sure, I feel like a goober half the time, but those dances on hard are truly a cardio blast." Although it's not strictly a Kinect fitness game, it does provide a great workout. It's also been voted the second best Kinect game out of all the titles available in the comments.

#6: The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout

The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout for the Kinect uses the star power of trainers such as Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper to motivate you in your exercising routines. Motion controls and voice recognition work well. The activities are varied and interesting, and it tracks your measurements over time. Some users like that this game focuses more on the training aspect than Your Shape Fitness, its main competitor.

#5: EA Sports Active 2

EA Sports Active 2 is the only fitness game that currently comes with a heart rate monitor. The results of the monitor display in-game on your screen, so that you can make sure that you're staying within your target range. Other than that, it's pretty similar to Your Shape Fitness (see below for more information). It's more focused on getting in shape than having fun, whatever the previews and trailers try to tell you.

#4: Zumba Fitness Rush - Groove Yourself To Health

This game brings Zumba, the new exercise class dance craze, into the comfort of your own living room. You can use this great Kinect workout game without anyone else having to see you get good at the moves first!

Many people have gotten fit using Zumba over the years since it was first introduced; it's a great combination of music that gets you pumped and moves that get your heart pumping. They've fixed the motion issues that plagued the original game, and this remake has received excellent reviews on Amazon and elsewhere.

#3: UFC Personal Trainer - Kick and Punch Your Way to Health

If you're not the type of person who gets into dancing or aerobics, then perhaps UFC Personal Trainer is for you. Drawing from a variety of MMA-inspired moves from diverse disciplines, and featuring UFC fighting personalities, this game definitely stands out from the Kinect fitness game crowd. Just make sure that you're not too close to the TV when you do your moves!

#2: Nike+ Kinect Training - A New Way to Feel the Burn

Nike has always been a brand associated with athletic excellence, and their newest foray into motion-controlled gaming is no exception. Progress in the game results in real-world rewards in the form of NikeFuel points. There's a strong focus on becoming part of the community, and you can get messages from Nike athletes and trainers to keep you on track. If you want more outside support and accountability in your at-home fitness regimen, this game is for you.

And the #1 Best Kinect Fitness Game Is...

#1: Your Shape Fitness Evolved - 2012

If you liked Your Shape Fitness Evolved, then you're sure to like this version for 2012. New activities will include "zen classes," Latin dancing, boot camp, and a feature called "Run the World" that lets you run in different environments without leaving the comfort of your home. Still to be seen is whether the upgraded interactivity and graphics are worth the price tag if you already own the original game.

What Is The Best Kinect Fitness Game? - Vote Here!

The best Kinect fitness game is...

See results

Thoughts on the Best Kinect Fitness Games? - Share Them Here!

0 of 8192 characters used

mockingbird999 5 years ago

I haven't tried any of these yet, but they look like they'd be fun.

anonymous 5 years ago

Don't have a Kinect but as KM wrote - these games do look fun.

emmaklarkins 5 years ago

@anonymous: They're a blast! You should definitely consider getting a Kinect if you have an Xbox.

Heard_Zazzle 5 years ago

Anything that gets folks moving is a good thing. I've heard Zumba is really fun.

• simona55 profile image

simona55 5 years ago

@anonymous: You're missing out if you don't have a Kinect yet. I used to be pretty lazy, but now I actually work out.

• jadehorseshoe profile image

jadehorseshoe 5 years ago

Very Useful Lens!

JoshK47 5 years ago

I've been strongly considering trying out Your Shape Evolved... seems like a fun way to get some exercise in!

antoniow 5 years ago

Great lens! Thumbs up!

brada7x 5 years ago

These are some great Kinect games to help get in shape with. I'm thinking about picking up one or two myself to kick some weight off for the new year. These are some of the best kinect games for making that happen, too. Thanks!

• CruiseReady profile image

CruiseReady 5 years ago from East Central Florida

I would love to get my husband motivated to do some of these Kinect Fitness Games.

• cneely294587 profile image

cneely294587 5 years ago

Kinect Sports is a great workout.

• hossbyh profile image

hossbyh 5 years ago

I love Dance Central 2, a fun game and a great work out!

• giltotherescue profile image

Gil Hildebrand 5 years ago from New Orleans, LA

Just curious where there was a vote for the games? Given the amount of TV advertising, I would have expected Zumba to be #1.

emmaklarkins 5 years ago

@giltotherescue: Well, there are a few reasons that Zumba isn't #1. For example, the only exercises you can do are Zumba-based, so if you're not already a Zumba fan, you won't be into this game. Also, unless you already have a decent amount of Zumba experienced, it is difficult to get the moves "just right." I think perhaps Zumba advertises so much because it isn't #1 yet, and they want it to be :)

sherioz 5 years ago

I had no idea what this was until I watched the video you have here. Just cruising around squidoo to see what people are doing and I'm glad I found this. I need something just like this. Now I have to see about getting the Kinect, right?

dream1983 4 years ago

Great collection, well done!

anonymous 4 years ago

Dance Central 2 Works better for me that anything. Sure, I feel like a goober half the time, but those dances on hard are truly a cardio blast.

emmaklarkins 4 years ago

@anonymous: That's a good point. I might add it to the list, but for the time being, anyone visiting this site should know that Dance Central 2 is a great game that provides a great workout!

rongreenwood 4 years ago

I love this game. I play it everyday with my son,Very entertaining, interesting, and fun too.

very recommended!

anonymous 4 years ago

Great variety of games from which to choose. Nice lens.

BenBsimpson 4 years ago

These are awesome for losing weight and getting in shape because they free a person from the need to pay a gym or trainer to start doing it.

• StewartClan profile image

StewartClan 4 years ago

Well, I am a Wii person, but my husband wants to get an xbox and you are making it look pretty compelling. I love all the dance games for the wii and I am sure that I would love some of these fitness dvds. Thanks for a great lens, I liked it very much.

emmaklarkins 4 years ago

@StewartClan: Yeah, boyfriends/husbands often want one of those! If you like dancing with the Wii, you'll LOVE Dance Central!

• behealthycoupon1 profile image

behealthycoupon1 4 years ago

I'm still no the fence if I want to get a Kinect. I guess it would more so for my family because it's something that mom could do. The only issue is I think you have to do a lot of working out for it to actually start making a difference in your health. The movements in most of the games are pretty slow and not enough of it.

emmaklarkins 4 years ago

@behealthycoupon1: The Kinect is great at getting people to engage in regular physical activity, which is something that most people don't get enough of! You can always move to more intense games, or even graduate to non-Kinect activities. Sometimes it just takes that one little push to get "up off the couch" :)

• MrMojo01 profile image

MrMojo01 4 years ago

Nice lens. I have tried a few of these and I will have to check out the others.

maxidef 4 years ago

very interesting lens.

Congrats.

emmaklarkins 4 years ago

@maxidef: Thanks!

emmaklarkins 4 years ago

@MrMojo01: Glad you liked it!

anonymous 4 years ago

Nice. Definitely agree about Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2012 being the best. I have a huge stack of Kinect games. Yeah, the kids love Kinectimals, but I primarily use the Kinect for a workout. Out of all, I use Your Shape 2012 the most. With the wide variety of workouts available for everything from warm ups to strength training targeted to specific body regions, you can get the results desired. And does it ever put the burn on!!!

MintySea 4 years ago

I don't have akinect but love fitness but love movement games. These titles sound fun.

anonymous 4 years ago

Great lens!

anonymous 4 years ago

Question for anyone that uses these, do they really work, or are they just a bit of fun?

• healthyidea profile image

Kiwigirl 4 years ago from Franklin

These are a little out of date there is now Zumba Core and Nike + Kinect training, they make it into my top 5.

emmaklarkins 4 years ago

@healthyidea: Thanks for the heads up, I'll add them to the list!

• cjbmeb14 lm profile image

cjbmeb14 lm 4 years ago

Some great titles.

vistablue 4 years ago

Thanks for the great ideas!

• avigarret profile image

avigarret 4 years ago

Great recommendations, a very creative and fun way to lose weight.

emmaklarkins 4 years ago

@avigarret: Thanks! It certainly is a great way to get exercise without really noticing :)

anonymous 4 years ago

That MMA game sucks so hard. I can't believe it's second place! It's practically not a game, just a guided video. Motion detection is so bad that you have to punch twice or thrice for the game to detect you thrown a punch. It doesn't even distinguish if you throw a punch or an elbow; just that "something" from your left moved to the right. For example, if you have to throw a right jab and a left elbow strike you might as well sissy slap with both hands and the game detects you did it right. And those repetitive comments from the trainers make the whole experience artificial.

I agree that Fitness Evolved is the best the kinect has to offer in the Fitness department

emmaklarkins 4 years ago

@anonymous: The game certainly has mixed reviews. You might prefer Kung Fu High Impact, which has much better motion tracking.

• jonijones profile image

jonijones 4 years ago

Fun and exercise, sound the best for me!!

• BenJacklin LM profile image

BenJacklin LM 4 years ago

Great lens for everyone looking to shed a few pounds this new year!

emmaklarkins 4 years ago

@jonijones: Can't go wrong with making exercise fun!

emmaklarkins 4 years ago

@BenJacklin LM: Absolutely! Interest in these games rises about this time every year :)

laurenrich 4 years ago

This is a terrific list of Kinect fitness games. It has an excellent choice to choose from and thanks for sharing.

sojourner-1 4 years ago

The Kinect Fitness videos are such a great way of getting fit with a trainer, without the huge cost of gym fees. Some people will like them, others of course won't. I think they are great.

• drmork profile image

drmork 4 years ago

I am really having fun with Zumba Fitness! Great lens! Good suggestions.

JimmPlus 4 years ago

Great recommendation. I like EA Sports Active 2 with the heart monitor. Way to go man.

• HSP Connections profile image

Peter Messerschmidt 3 years ago from Port Townsend, WA, USA

Some very useful information here! I've HEARD about these fitness games, but have never actually tried them... but it sounds like a winner, especially for those of us who really hate going to a gym.

• socialcx1 profile image

socialcx1 3 years ago

I can see why people enjoy these fitness games. Looks like they work.

fire218 3 years ago

good way to get those video game heads exercising.

• KathyZ1 profile image

KathyZ1 3 years ago

Nice lens, very informative.

J101 23 months ago

I remember playing dance central as a boy. Check out the all new online fitness game which uses your video workouts to stimulate your self-progression. Have your videos analysed by the community, and generate stars to level up www.fiitizens.com

Click to Rate This Article